Smoked Eisbein25 October 2019
Biltong, Beer & Cheese Pot Bread7 November 2019
Split Pea & Smoked Eisbein Soup
If by some miracle, you have some leftover Eisbein after trying last weeks recipe, then this is a superb way to get another meal out of it. Feel free to substitute the Eisbein for Kassler chops.
2 tbsp cooking oil
2 cups Smoked Eisbein / Kasslers (chopped into cubes)
4 carrots (cut into small chunks)
1 onion (chopped)
3 stalks celery (finely chopped)
1 tbsp dried thyme
2.5 lt broth/stock
(I used the reserved stock from boiling the Eisbein in last weeks recipe)
500 g split green peas
2 tbsp lemon juice
3 slices bread (crusts removed and cubed)
Pack 15 briquettes onto the coal grid inside your PotjieKing. Put a couple of firelighters into the bottom section and get that going. Once the coals are ready, place your no 3 round bottom potjie pot onto the PotjieKing to heat up.
- Pour the oil into the Potjie pot. Fry the cubes of Eisbein (or Kassler) for a few minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Fry the veggies for 15 minutes and then add 1 & 3/4 cups of the meat, broth/stock, thyme, and split peas, into the pot.
- Once simmering, allow to cook for 45 min or so – until the peas are soft.
- Remove the Potjie pot from the PotieKing and let the soup cool down for a bit.
- While the soup is cooling, place your double-sided griddle (skottle side up) onto the PotieKing to heat up.
- Pour some oil on to get hot and then fry the cubes of bread, in batches, until golden brown – set aside in a bowl lined with a serviette to soak up the excess oil.
- Remove half the soup from the potjie pot into another container. Using a hand blender, blend that soup until smooth and add back into the potjie pot.
- Mix in the lemon juice then reheat and serve garnished with the croutons and reserved cubes of meat.
PotjieKing – Feeding Adventure Since 2008