Hunger Buster Braai Buns8 November 2018
Egg, Cheese and Bacon Breakfast Potato Hash22 November 2018
Potjie Pot Lasagne
Adapting the classic lasagne recipe to use a cottage cheese mix instead of a bechamel sauce makes it an easy meal to cook out and about. Add in the WOW factor when plating it up at your campsite and it’s a total winner!
2 tins chopped tomatoes
70g tin tomato concentrate
2 onions (chopped)
1 clove garlic (minced)
2 tsp mix herbs
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
3/4 cup beef stock
30 ml oil
2 tubs smooth cottage cheese
3/4 cup parmesan cheese
1 clove garlic (minced)
1 tsp mixed herbs
2 cups cheddar cheese (grated)
3 cup mozzarella cheese (grated)
Potjie Pot Lasagne – Method
Pack 12 briquettes onto the coal grid inside your PotjieKing. Put a couple of firelighters in the bottom section and get that going. Use a no 12 flat bottomed potjie pot.
- Place the potjie pot on to the PotjieKing to heat up.
- Pour in the oil and fry your onions until cooked.
- Add the mince, herbs and salt (to your taste).
- Make sure to break the mince up well.
- Once browned add in the tomato concentrate, chopped tomatoes, garlic, worcestershire sauce, stock and sugar.
- Allow it to simmer for at least 15 minutes
- Meanwhile in a separate bowl combine the cottage cheese, eggs, garlic, parmesan cheese and herbs.
- Once the mince has had a chance to simmer remove the potjie pot from the potjieking and scoop out the majority of the mince into a bowl, leaving a thin layer on the bottom.
- Before you start packing your layers place another 17 briquettes into the PotjieKing to get going.
- Place a layer of lasagne sheets (break a few sheets up to fill in the gaps), followed by a layer of mince, a layer of cottage cheese mix and finally a sprinkle of both types of cheese.
- Repeat the layers (making them as thick or as thin as you like). Using about a 1/3 of each topping is a good measure. Finish off with a good layer of cheese on top.
- Put the lid onto the potjie pot.
- Once your coals are going place 12 on to the potjie pot lid and spread the remainder out in the PotjieKing.
- Put your potjiepot back on to the PotjieKing and allow to cook for 45 – 55 minutes.
- Remove the briquettes from the lid and take potjie pot off the PotjieKing. Allow to stand for 10 minutes or more to settle before serving.
I used a no 10 potjie pot which was a bit too full and I had to intervene to save the cheese sticking to the lid. I wasn’t expecting the lasagne to ‘rise’ as much as it did. If you use a size 12 you’ll have ample space.