Breakfast Wraps4 July 2019
Mustard Pork Roast18 July 2019
Irish Soda Pot Bread
This old Irish folk bread has a superb crust and flavour.
4 Ingredients, a tiny bit of kneading and no rising required makes this your new ‘go to’ bread recipe!
2 & 1/2 cups white flour
3/4 tsp bicarb
3/4 tsp salt
250 ml buttermilk
Irish Soda Pot Bread – Method
Pack 16 briquettes onto the coal grid inside your PotjieKing. Put a couple of firelighters in the bottom section and get that going. We used the no 10 Best Duty flat bottom pot which nestles nicely into the PotjieKing.
- In a bowl mix the flour, salt and bicarb together.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour the buttermilk in.
- Stir until mostly combined.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 2 or so minutes.
- Line the inside of your potjie pot (and lid) with flour – just sprinkle a bit in and use your fingers to cover the inside with flour.
- Shape the dough until its round-ish and place it into the potjie pot.
- Using a sharp flour coated knife, cut a shallow cross over the top of the dough.
- Place the lid onto the potjie pot
- Space 10 briquettes on top of the potjie pot lid and spread the remaining 6 evenly around the coal grid inside of the PotjieKing.
- Do not place the braai grid on the PotjieKing but rather let the potjie pot nestle inside the PotjieKing.
- Close both doors on your PotjieKing.
- Bake for 20 – 30 min.
- Use a metal skewer to poke through the centre of the bread. If it comes out clean then it’s ready.
- Take the loaf out of the potjie pot and allow to cool for a bit.
Serve warm with butter!
PotjieKing – Feeding Adventure Since 2008