Salmon & Sour Cream Rostis9 October 2019
Smoked Eisbein25 October 2019
Pork & Potato Gnocchi Potjie Soup
Halfway between soup and stew and packed full of tasty flavour and wholesome goodness!
500g uncooked pork sausage (not eskort! real pork sausages)
1 tbsp olive oil
2 medium onions – diced
3 large carrots – chopped
3 stalks celery – diced
1 red pepper – deseeded and chopped
1 yellow pepper – deseeded and chopped
5 cloves garlic – crushed
1 cup red wine
1 lt chicken stock
1 tin tomato puree
1 tin chopped tomato
1 tbsp Italian herbs
1 tsp chilli flakes
300 g potato gnocchi (see link below if you’d like to make your own)
2 large handfuls spinach – roughly chopped
parsley – chopped
Pack 15 briquettes onto the coal grid inside your PotjieKing. Put a couple of firelighters into the bottom section and get that going. Once the coals are ready, place your no 3 round bottom potjie pot onto the PotjieKing to heat up.
- Pour the oil into the potjie pot to heat up.
- Squeeze small balls of pork out of the sausage casing and place into the oil
- Fry the sausages for a couple of minutes until they have browned a bit.
- Remove the sausage using a slotted spoon. Leave the oil in for frying the veg.
- Add the onions and fry for another 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots, celery and garlic and fry for 10 minutes or so.
- Pour the wine in and deglaze the potjie – the wine will help lift all the tastyness off the bottom of the pot.
- Add in the stock, tins of tomato, Italian herbs and pepper flakes.
- Allow to cook, with the lid on, until veggies are tender (15 to 20 min)
- Add the pork balls back in, along with the spinach. Give it a little stir.
- Drop the gnocchi in and make sure they are all covered.
- Put the lid onto the potjie and cook for an additional 5 minutes – with store-bought Gnocchi, or 10 minutes if you have made your own. I found that my homemade Gnocchi needed more cooking time than the store-bought stuff.
- Test the Gnocchi and once it is cooked you are ready to serve!
- Garnish with parmesan and parsley
Enjoy your Pork & Potato Gnocchi Potjie Soup!!
Click HERE for a very simple Gnocchi recipe
PotjieKing – Feeding Adventure Since 2008