BBQ Chicken Hot Pot6 July 2018
PotjieKing’s Flat Pot Pizza20 July 2018
Chocolate Buttermilk Potjie Cake
Cake in a Potjie pot? Yes, that’s right! And not just ANY cake…a Chocolate Buttermilk Potjie Cake that is moist, rich and simply divine!
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup boiling water
Chocolate Buttermilk Potjie Cake – Method
Pack 15 – 16 briquettes onto the coal grid inside your PotjieKing. Place a couple of firelighters in the bottom section and get that going. We used a size 10 flat-bottomed potjie pot for this recipe.
- Mix the oil, buttermilk, eggs and vanilla essence together in a bowl.
- In a second larger bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, salt and baking powder together.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Once well combined, mix the cup of boiling water into the batter (little by little).
- The mixture will be runny so don’t worry!
- Spray the inside of the Potjie pot liberally with spray and cook.
- Pour the batter into the Potjie pot and close with the lid.
- Remove 6 briquettes and space them evenly on the lid of the Potjie pot
- Place braai grid on to the PotjieKing and put the Potjie pot on top.
- Allow to cook for 40 – 50 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
- You can either serve it warm with ice cream (oooh yum) or allow it to cool properly out of the pot.
Note: Please consider the weather when choosing the number of briquettes you’ll use. If it’s a very cold, windy day then perhaps add one or two extra briquettes, and if it’s a warm, still day you may need one or two less. Keep an eye on your cake and don’t be afraid to have a little peek under the lid as you get closer to the end of the baking time.