Venison & Sherry Potjie19 September 2019
Smoked Sausage & Sundried Tomato Potjie Pot Pasta3 October 2019
Chicken & Mushroom Fricassee
Wow. Just wow. I thought I’d try something new and this Fricassee has turned out to be a new family favourite.
1 chicken braai pack
salt & pepper
3 tbsp butter – melted and divided in 2
45 ml cooking oil
2 onions – chopped
2 carrots – sliced
2 stalk of celery – chopped
2 large onions – chopped
250 g portabellini mushrooms – quartered
2 tbsp white flour
1 cup dry white wine
4 cups chicken stock
2 sprigs parsley
1 tsp dried thyme
1 bay leaf
3 large egg yolks
1/2 cup cream
1 tbsp tarragon – finely chopped
2 tbsp lemon juice
Pack 13 briquettes onto the coal grid inside your PotjieKing. Put a couple of firelighters into the bottom section and get that going. Once the coals are ready, place your no 10 round flat potjie pot onto the PotjieKing to heat up. The no 10 flat pot nestles down perfectly into the PotjieKing without the braai grid on.
- Pour the oil and half the butter into the potjie pot to heat up.
- Salt and pepper the chicken on both sides
- Fry the chicken – turn after 8 minutes or so to get some good colour then remove and set aside.
- Fry the veggies for 10 – 15 minutes in the oil leftover from the chicken.
- Add in the mushrooms and fry for another 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over and stir until the veggies are coated.
- Add the wine, broth, parsley, thyme and bay leaf and stir well.
- Place a few extra briquettes (2 – 3) into the PotjieKing if it looks like you may need it.
- Place the chicken back in (along with any juices) and cook for 25 – 30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken again and set aside.
- In a jug mix the yolks and cream.
- Temper the cream mix by adding a tablespoon of the cooking sauce at a time, then stir. Repeat until you’ve doubled the amount of sauce.
- Pour the mix into the sauce while stirring until thickened.
- Return the chicken to the pot.
- Pour over the remaining butter, lemon juice and tarragon
Serve with rice
PotjieKing – Feeding Adventure Since 2008