Maple and Bacon Sweet Potatoes14 February 2019
Sundried Tomato, Feta & Olive no-knead Pot Bread28 February 2019
Mango Orange Smoked Kassler Steaks with Seared Pineapple
The kids smashed these! Sneaking in loads of peas and corn was child play with the tangy sweet sauce and seared pineapple.
4 smoked Kassler steaks
1 tin pineapple rings
2 – 3 tbsp mango chutney or jam
300ml orange juice
2 tsp cornflour
Mango Orange Smoked Kassler Steaks with Seared Pineapple – Method
Pack 12 briquettes onto the coal grid inside your PotjieKing. Put a couple of firelighters in the bottom section and get that going. When the briquettes are ready, place the griddle plate on to heat up.
- Drain the pineapple – reserve the juice.
- Place the pineapple on the hot griddle and allow to sear on both sides. When done put aside.
- While that is busy mix the pineapple juice, chutney or jam, and orange juice together. Grind in a bit of pepper to taste.
- Place the Kassler steaks on to the griddle plate and allow them to sear before turning.
- Once each side has been seared remove the steaks
- Using oven gloves to tip the griddle, pour the fat into the juice mix for a bit of extra flavour.
- Flip the griddle over so it’s now skottle side up.
- Arrange the steaks and pineapple onto the skottle and slowly pour the juice mix in.
- Allow to simmer for 10 min or so, longer if you have thicker steaks.
- Remove the Kassler steaks.
- Mix the cornflour with either 50 ml juice, water or milk.
- Slowly pour into the remaining sauce in the skottle.
- Only a little at a time and stir well to avoid lumps. Keep thickening the sauce until it’s just how you like it
Serve with white rice, peas and whole kernel corn.