Indulgent and delicious layers of chicken, veg and pasta smothered in a rich creamy sauce.
Creamy Chicken & Pasta Potjie Recipe
Ingredients for your Creamy Chicken & Pasta Potjie Recipe:
Serves 6 – 8
no 3 Potjie Pot
8 chicken thighs
250g bacon (chopped)
4 medium onions (chopped)
60ml smooth apricot jam
750ml chicken or veg stock
15ml Worcestershire sauce
1 cup carrots (sliced)
1 cup whole kernel corn
1 cup broccoli (sliced)
250g mushrooms (sliced)
1 packet white onion soup powder
500g shell pasta
salt & pepper
1tsp crushed garlic
Creamy Chicken & Pasta Potjie Recipe – Method
Pack one layer of briquettes onto the coal grid inside your PotjieKing and place a couple fire lighters in the bottom section and get that going. Once the briquettes have stopped smoking, place your Potjie pot onto the PotjieKing to heat up.
- Pour the oil into the potjie pot to heat up. Use a spoon to cover the bottom of the potjie in oil so that the bacon doesn’t stick.
- Fry the bacon.
- Add the onions and apricot jam. Cook until the onions are translucent.
- Layer the chicken thighs on top of the bacon and onion. Then add in the Worcestershire sauce and 250ml of the stock. Allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Layer in the carrots, corn and mushrooms, as well as the herbs and garlic, and let it cook for 30 minutes.
- Mix the onion powder with milk and cream and the remaining stock.
- Layer in the pasta shells and broccoli and pour the sauce in, making sure to wet all the pasta.
- Close the potjie and cook for another 30 minutes (or until your pasta is cooked how you like it)
- If you think you need a bit more liquid toward the end, just pour a bit more milk (or stock) into the potjie.
“Life is short, and I’m Italian. I’d much rather eat pasta and drink wine than be a size 0”
– Sophia Bush